Given the subpar state of public transportation in our country, many of us aspire to own a personal vehicle. However, the financial constraints of purchasing a brand-new car make it an unattainable dream for some. In such cases, buying a used car appears to be the most economical alternative.
The process of buying a used car, however, is very different from that of acquiring a new one from a dealership. There are so many things to consider before paying up and driving the vehicle home. You have to check for the status of the engine, body, chassis, and interior. A capable mechanic can examine these factors on your behalf. But one of the most important things to check is the vehicle’s history. You cannot just take the seller’s word for it. The best way to check the car’s history is to perform an LTO plate verification.
Why Check the Plate Number History in LTO?
Checking the plate number history in the LTO is a very important step when buying a used car in the Philippines. It can help you avoid buying a stolen or problematic vehicle and also give you useful information about the car’s make, model, color, and registration date. Here are some reasons why you should perform an LTO plate number check:
- Safety and security: By verifying the plate number, you can find out if the car has been reported as stolen or carnapped, or if it has been involved in any crime. You don’t want to buy a car that has a bad history or might cause you trouble with the law. You can also check if the car has any violations or apprehensions from the LTO, such as unpaid fines or penalties.
- Identity and authenticity: You can confirm whether the car matches the seller’s description by looking up the plate number. You can also check if the car is registered with the seller or someone else. You don’t want to buy a car that has a fake or tampered-up plate number or that belongs to someone else without their consent.
- Affordability and convenience: By checking the plate number online, you can save time and money from going to the LTO office. You can also avoid paying unnecessary fees if the car has an expired or invalid registration.
How to Check an LTO Plate Number via Text
You no longer need to go to LTO to check for any issues with the vehicle you want to buy. There is a convenient way to check a plate number online. You just have to use your phone and enter a few keywords, and voila! You will get all the important details about the car in seconds. To do this, follow these steps:
STEP 1: Take your phone, either a smartphone or a basic one, and make sure it has at least PHP 2.50 of load if you are on a prepaid plan. Open your text messaging app and type in the required keywords.
Key in LTO<space>VEHICLE<space>Plate Number
then send it to 2600
STEP 2: Once you send the text message, you will receive an automated reply within minutes. The reply will contain the following information about the vehicle: license plate number, make and model, model year, color, last registration date, and LTO apprehension and alarm status.
The search results may not be inclusive of all the information contained in the LTO database. For instance, you cannot check if the chassis and engine number match the LTO records. If you are in doubt and want to know if the certificate of registration is legitimate, go to the nearest LTO to verify.
Things to Note
Here are the important things to remember when doing the plate verification via SMS:
- This process will work regardless of your mobile network.
- Each text message will cost you PHP 2.50. It will not work if you do not have a load.
- The SMS Plate Verification is only available for private vehicles.
- The LTO plate check system seems to work only on weekdays during office hours. If you text LTO after 5 p.m. or on weekends, you will not receive any reply, but you will still be charged the PHP 2.50 fee.
- You cannot see the registered owner of a vehicle using this method.
Checking for an LTO alarm via text is a quick and easy way to find out if the vehicle you want to buy or drive has any legal problems or violations. This can help you avoid any trouble or penalties that may arise from buying a stolen car. You just need a phone, some load, and the right keywords to text to the LTO number. However, this service is not perfect and may not give you all the information you need. That is why it is recommended to go to the nearest LTO office to confirm the certificate of registration and other details of the vehicle. This way, you can be sure that you are driving a safe and legitimate car.
By taking these precautions, you not only ensure your own safety but also contribute to the broader effort against car theft and illegal vehicle trade. Remember, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. So, before you bring home that car, make sure to check with the LTO. Your diligence could save you from potential legal complications and ensure that your ride is worry-free.