LTO Registration of Motorcycle from Single to with Sidecar

Attaching a sidecar to your motorcycle can significantly enhance the versatility and functionality of your vehicle. While it’s true that the addition of a sidecar may limit your ability to filter through traffic lanes and could increase fuel consumption due to the added weight and aerodynamic drag, the benefits it offers often outweigh these drawbacks.

One of the primary advantages of a sidecar is the increased safety it provides. Motorcycles, by their very nature, can be unstable, but a sidecar adds stability, reducing the risk of accidents. Furthermore, a sidecar allows for additional passenger capacity and increased cargo space, transforming your motorcycle into a more practical mode of transportation. This can be an economical solution for family travel, offering a cost-effective alternative to purchasing a larger vehicle.

However, the process of adding a sidecar to your motorcycle involves more than just the physical attachment. It is important to understand that you are required to register this modification with the Land Transportation Office (LTO). This article aims to guide you through this process, outlining the necessary steps, requirements, and associated costs involved in registering your motorcycle as a vehicle with a sidecar.

Requirements of Sidecar LTO Registration

Before you register your motorcycle with a sidecar at the Land Transportation Office (LTO), you need to prepare some documents and consider different factors. The registration process and the required documents vary depending on the following scenarios:

  • Your motorcycle is brand new and is not yet released by the dealer (still no CR)
  • Your motorcycle is still under mortgage from the dealer or a financing company but registered without a sidecar.
  • Your motorcycle is fully paid for and registered under your name.
  • Your motorcycle is second-hand and registered under the former owners name

If you are still in the process of purchasing a motorcycle from the dealer, either in cash or installment, inform the dealer that you want to install a sidecar. They will handle the initial registration of the motorcycle and include it in the registration. Therefore, when your Official Receipt/Certificate of Registration (OR/CR) arrives, it will already indicate “with sidecar”.

Motorcycle Under Mortgage (Hulugan)

  • Original Certificate of Registration Encumbered (CRE): Borrow this from the dealer and tell them that you intend to install a sidecar.
  • LTO Original Receipt: Borrow this from the dealer.
  • Original official receipt of the sidecar: It must be the official receipt with TIN
  • Notarized Affidavit of Attachment: Get this from a notary public.
  • Photocopies of the two valid IDs and signatures of the mechanic that installed your sidecar: It must be three (3) specimen signatures.

Motorcycle Under Your Name

  • Original Certificate of Registration
  • LTO Original Receipt
  • Original official receipt of the sidecar: It must be the official receipt with TIN
  • Notarized Affidavit of Attachment: Get this from a notary public.
  • Photocopies of the two valid IDs and signatures of the mechanic that installed your sidecar: It must be three (3) specimen signatures.

Second-Hand Motorcycle Under Former Owner’s Name

  • Original Certificate of Registration
  • LTO Original Receipt
  • Original official receipt of the sidecar: It must be the official receipt with TIN
  • Notarized Affidavit of Attachment: Get this from a notary public.
  • Photocopies of the two valid IDs and signatures of the mechanic that installed your sidecar: It must be three (3) specimen signatures.
  • Notarized Deed of Sale
  • Photocopies of two IDs of the former owner with specimen signatures

Other Requirements

If you intend to do this transaction along with the annual motorcycle registration renewal (which is the best thing to do), here are the other documents needed:

  • Certificate of Cover: Buy Compulsory Third Party Liability (CTPL) insurance from an LTO-accredited insurance provider before visiting the LTO. This will give you more options to save money on insurance, as the providers inside the LTO premises tend to charge higher rates. For instance, they may ask for 350–500 pesos for a CTPL that you can get elsewhere for 250 pesos. Ensure that they will electronically transmit the certificate to LTO.
  • Original Certificate of Emission Compliance: Before going to an LTO-accredited Private Emission Testing Center (PETC), make sure to attach your sidecar and present the requirements above. If you do not have those requirements, they will not accommodate you. In addition to the documents, make sure that the vehicle is in tip-top condition. Change the oil and perform a tune-up to pass the emission test.

How to Register Single Motorcycle to Private Tricycle

The process of registering your motorcycle with sidecar is easy, as long as you have all the requirements. However, the process included in the guide is for private-use tricycles only, as the registration for “for hire” tricycles is a different beast. We will discuss it in a separate post.

STEP 1: Bring your motorcycle with an attached sidecar to an LTO District Office and bring all the needed requirements.

STEP 2: Go to the customer service window or the guard on duty. Tell them that you want to do a motorcycle renewal and registration of your sidecar. They will give you a Motor Vehicle Inspection Report (MVIR) form.

STEP 3: Look for an inspection aide and have your tricycle inspected. Just give him the documents, and he will fill out the form on your behalf. Give him any amount as payment for his service.

STEP 4: Once you have the completed MVIR and the required documents, return them to the LTO office. A LTO evaluator will review your documents and send them for processing. If they have a queue number system, get a queue number. You can also ask them to link your motorcycle to your LTMS account for online renewals in the future. You need to have an LTMS account for this. To create one, you can follow this guide: [How to Create an LTMS Account].

STEP 5: Wait for the cashier to call your number. When it is your turn, proceed to the cashier window to pay the Registration Renewal Fee and/or any other fees that may be applicable.

STEP 5: Now, wait for the releasing counter to call your name (or the name indicated on the CR). He or she will give you the updated Certificate of Registration and Official Receipt (OR). Do not ask for the sticker; they do not issue stickers anymore.

The time it takes to complete your vehicle registration at LTO depends on the number of applicants that day, but it usually takes around one to two hours. In my experience, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays are the best days to go to LTO, as they have fewer applicants compared to Mondays or Fridays.

The most time-consuming part of the process is getting the emission certificate. To avoid long queues, arrive at the PETC earlier than others so you can queue before the cutoff. If you arrive late, you won’t be accommodated that day and will have to come back again the next day.

Total Cost of Motorcycle Registration from Single to with Sidecar

Here is the breakdown of the cost of registering a single motorcycle into a private tricycle:

Affidavit of AttachmentPHP 300.00
CTPL InsurancePHP 350.00
EmissionPHP 450.00
MVUCPHP 240.00
Science TaxPHP 4.50
Legal Research FeePHP 10.00
Change of Body DesignPHP 100.00
TotalPHP 1,454.50

Please note that the amount stated above is for plain renewals only and without any penalty due to late renewal. If you register your motorcycle past the LTO’s deadline, you will be charged a penalty fee.

Here is a list of LTO penalty fees for late registration renewal:

Beyond the registration week (but not more than 1 month)PHP 100.00
Beyond the registration month (but not more than 12 months)PHP 120.00 (50% of the MVUC rate)
Beyond 12 months without apprehension for LTO violationsPHP 120.00+ renewal fee
Beyond 12 months with apprehension for LTO violationsPHP 120.00 + renewal fee for every year of delinquency

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are the most common questions and their answers about registering and converting a single motorcycle into a private tricycle:

1. I still do not have my plate number. Can I register my motorcycle with a sidecar?

Yes. If you don’t have an LTO plate number yet, you can still register your tricycle by following these steps. Due to the huge backlog in LTO, many motorcycle owners are still waiting for their LTO plate numbers. This means that you cannot use the MV file number on the temporary plate or the permanent plate number to check your renewal schedule. Instead, you have to use the date of release from the dealership. However, you still need a temporary plate number for the emission compliance certificate and the CTPL insurance. To get an assigned temporary plate number, please follow these instructions. These steps only apply to motorcycle owners who do not have their permanent license plates.

  1. Go to a Private Emission Testing Center (PETC).
  2. Ask the staff to help you get the authorization to use a temporary plate and the printed assigned temporary plate.
  3. You will pay around 50 pesos for the authorization and the printed assigned temporary plate. They are valid until you get your permanent plate number.
  4. The PETC personnel will attach the printed temporary plate during the emission testing and taking of pictures. You need these documents to get CTPL insurance.
  5. After getting the Certificate of Emission Compliance and CTPL, go to LTO for the registration of your motorcycle’s sidecar (see above instructions).

2. I cannot find the former owner of the motorcycle. What will I do?

There is no way that you can register your sidecar in LTO without having copies of the ID of the former owner. This is why it is important to secure these documents when buying second-hand vehicles.

3. I do not have a receipt of the sidecar. What will I do?

If you bought a secondhand sidecar, it’s likely that it doesn’t come with an official receipt. To obtain one, some people go to a sidecar builder that issues official receipts for a fee. The cost varies depending on the builder, and there is no standard amount for it. It can range from PHP 500.00 up to PHP 2,000 just for the receipt.

4. Can I use my sidecar without registering it in LTO?

No. It is illegal, and you will face heavy penalties when caught driving a tricycle with an unregistered sidecar.


Driving a tricycle with an unregistered sidecar is illegal, and you will face heavy fines when caught doing so. That is why it is important to register your sidecar in LTO first before using it on public roads. The process is simple, as long as you have all the requirements.

You can save more money if you register your sidecar during your yearly motorcycle renewal. This way, you will hit two birds with one stone. You will avoid paying twice and having to go back and forth to the LTO office. With this guide, I hope that you have learned how to register your sidecar in LTO and enjoy the benefits of having a legal and safe tricycle.

3 thoughts on “LTO Registration of Motorcycle from Single to with Sidecar”

  1. What is the requirements from with sidecar to without sidecar

  2. asking what will I do, I buy a 2nd hand motorcycle with original OR/CR and 2 valid id’s with specimen signature of the 1st owner, with release chattel of mort cage and deed of sell of the 1st owner and 2nd owner, the problems is i buy these motorcycle to the 2nd owner but we have no deed of sell since the status of the motorcycle is junk. and the 2nd owner is now at the other country, what will i do or any legal Suggest? on how to transfer the owner ship of the motorcycle, or can we make ah deed of sell between the 1st owner and 3rd owner, since the name of the motorcycle is under name of the 1st owner.


Leave a Comment